Sunday, November 7, 2021

Swedish Weaving

 

Over the past six or seven years (probably more) I have worked under the pressure of meeting a deadline.  For the first time in many years, I have been able to work on projects, or not work on, what I felt like, rather than what I was compelled to do. Recently I have been able to work on Swedish Weaving projects.  I have two blankets that I started several years ago.  One of the afghans is for me.  I've made several for friends and family members.  The entire project takes about three months, if I can work on it everyday for a few hours.  One of the reasons I love Swedish Weaving is because while I'm working, it's always for a special person in my life.  During those times I'm working on the blanket, I am praying for that person.  My mind fills with special thoughts of that person, why they are so important to me, and the reason I am expending countless hours to finish the project.  I also must remain focused on what I am doing.  The pattern flows as it's supposed to, as long as I don't drop a stitch.  Last week, I was moving along when I came to the next section, "weave through 3-up 2-over 2-up 2-over 2-up 2-over 2-down 2-over 2-down 3---continue across.....wait!!!!!! What happened???? Had I lost my concentration? Where did I drop the stitch? It's not always apparent immediately. I have to keep going, usually to the end of the row, and when I turn it to start the next row.....OH NO!!!!!! I haven't dropped a stitch for a long time.  In the beginning when I was first learning....it was a daily battle. Trying to figure out where I made a mistake.

Life is a lot like that....except, we can't go back....rip out what we've done....trying to undo the mistake.  In life we have to continue forward.  A friend used to tell me, "there are no do overs in life." Does that stop me from Swedish Weaving? Being afraid to "drop a stitch?" No, it doesn't. Even though the process of ripping out one or possibly two rows is time-consuming. I continue to move forward.

Just like in life. You've seen me struggle, but you've never seen me quit! 

James 1:4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV)

No comments: