Sunday, November 14, 2021

No Tim Horton's?


 I'm not sure what triggered the memory, but I miss my friend, Ellie (aka Ruth Linstedt). Actually, Ruth was her real name.  When we met her, she jokingly said, "you can call me Ellie, short for elephant." We all laughed,but none of us ever thought of her as elephant, but lovingly as Ellie.  She was one of the Golden Girls.  The group of girls I met for dinner once a month for more years than I can remember.  I love all of them, and am so happy that even though we live in different parts of the country now, we can all keep in touch.  Ellie and I were closer than the other girls.  We eventually ended up living about 10 miles apart, and saw each other almost daily.  One of the things we did often was drive to Tim Horton's for Iced Cappuccino.  I don't remember how it all started, but she called me a "germ-phobe"....is that even a word? Anyway, if anyone at the restaurant tried to help me by unwrapping my straw I quietly asked the server for another one...because "someone touched my straw!"  Over the years depending on where we were going, either I drove, or Ellie drove.  When we went to Tim Horton's for Iced Cappuccino and she handed me my drink she ALWAYS SAID, I didn't touch your straw!  When she said it, I always laughed.  Even today over two years later, I can still hear her voice.  I shared with someone this past week that story about "don't touch my straw!"  It makes me laugh, but also tear up sometimes.  I want to call her, I want to meet her for lunch. I want to know how her family is. 

I'm not sure why I'm missing her so much right now, it's not an anniversary of her birthday, or even the day she died.  Maybe it's just because I loved her, and miss her.  

When we (the Golden Girls) first met Ellie, one of the things she said to all of us is "don't try to hug me!" That still makes me laugh.  The last time I saw her, when she was leaving she said, "can I hug you?" After I fainted, I held out my arms.  She also told me she loved me.... another shocker!  Ellie was one of the most unique people I ever met.  There's no one like her.  When I get to heaven, there are so many things I want to tell her.  I'm sure hoping there's a Tim Horton's there....because there isn't one here.  Someone asked me if I would have moved to Florida if I knew there were no Tim Horton's...I'm thinking....maybe not!

If you have a close friend, make sure they know how you feel about each other.  I had no idea the last time I saw her, would be the last time I saw her.

I love you Ellie....Rest In Peace: February 24-August 21, 2019...

2 comments:

Bill Deb said...

I love you and miss you! We didn’t have a Tim Horton’s but a Brewster’s and lots of quaint other places to hang out!!! I’ll never be surrounded with all the love and care of my Highland’s County Sistas!!!! ((((Hugs)))) and 💋 😘🥰❤️

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

I love and miss you too! The Sistas are so special to me too! Just like the Golden Girls. I have so many memories with the Sistas. I wish you weren't so far away. Take care of you my sweet friend! Hugs to Bill.......Love you!!!!