Wednesday, June 3, 2020

My Challenge to You

I am just as angry,  and appalled and sickened as much as any person in this country about George Floyds death, and how it came about.  I did not know Mr. Floyd or any of his family.  There are no words I can speak that would take the pain away from what that family is feeling right now. 

I am not against protests.  We live in a country where we have the right to protest, something good or something not so good.   That said,  I do not understand what is happening in our country right now.  I am no longer referring to what is going on as a protest.  I am calling it what it is...a terrorist attack on our country.  When someone is protesting they do NOT get on a bus and go to another city to "start fires".  They do not destroy businesses, smashing store fronts to get inside, and then STEALING or destroying the contents of that store.  My heart breaks for small business owners who have had little hope that their business could recover from being shutdown during the Coronavirus Pandemic.  I saw glimmers of hope on some of their faces before these terrorists attacked. 

How does what these terrorists are doing honor Mr. Floyd in any way?  I read an account by his family begging the violence to stop.  These people being bussed in, going from town to town are not being paid to honor Mr. Floyd.  They are being paid to destroy as much property or historical markers as they can. 

To Mr. Floyd's family, please know that I am praying for all of you. I cannot imagine how difficult, and I'm not sure that's a strong enough word,  losing someone you love in such a senseless, irresponsible way, and then reliving the tragedy that is played on a continuous loop on the media everyday.

When I watched about two minutes of the news yesterday, I thought,  'I wish there was something I could do.'  I listened to comments by the different governors of various states, talking about what they were doing or not doing. It was then I knew what I could do. 


2 Chronicles 30:27 The priests and the Levites stood to bless the people, and God heard them, for their prayer reached heaven, His holy dwelling place.  We need peace in our country.  We need a revival. We need to come together as a Christian nation. Leviticus 26: 6-8  "I will grant peace in the land, and you will lie down and no one will make you afraid.  I will remove savage beasts from the land, and the sword will not pass through your country. You will pursue your enemies, and they will fall by the sword before you.  Five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase ten thousand, and your enemies will fall by the sword before you" (NIV). As Christians we must reach out to Him in prayer.  I Chronicles 5:20 "They were helped in fighting them, and God handed the Hagrites and all their allies over to them, because they cried out to him during the battle. He answered their prayers, because they trusted in Him."

Now, my challenge to you.  After you read this post, I am asking you to pray with me.  Please include ONE other person....only one (more if you can) to pray with you.  Matthew 18:19, 20 "Again I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything, you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

My simple prayer is this:

Heavenly Father, I come to you this morning with thanksgiving in my heart.  I'm thanking you for allowing me to live in a country where I can freely worship you.  Where I can voice my opinion. Where I can give all the honor and all the glory to you. I worship you, and I cherish every moment you have given me.  I pray for the Floyd family during this crisis.  Additionally Father God, I pray for the police, the deputies, the first responders, the National Guard, and any one who has been in the line of fire and has lost their life trying or been injured trying to protect our country.  I am praying for peace and a unity that our country has not known for sometime.  I feel your presence Lord, even during these difficult times.  I ask that you bless each and everyone who reads this prayer.  My hope is that you will touch the hearts of the people whose hearts are filled with hate.  I pray for the United States, that we can come together...united again, in peace.  I lift all these things up to you, in Jesus, Holy Precious name...
Amen

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amen. I completely agree with you. And I am praying.

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree. Praying with you.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Thank you Alex....the power of prayer~!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I hope you're doing well, Katt. I think of you often.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Thank you Joy! I think of you often too. Thinking of how we met....practically from two different "worlds" lol........So thankful for you my sweet friend. I'm praying you are well also. I am.....staying busy as usual! Where are you now? Wish we weren't so far apart....we could have lunch!!!
Hugs,

Katt