Saturday, May 23, 2020

Friends

When I hear the word "friends" I often think of the show by the same name.  I have been blessed beyond measure for the friends who enrich my life.  It gives me great comfort when one of them reaches out to me and just asks,"are you doing ok?"  That comment usually manifests into a light-hearted conversation by both of us agreeing that we will stay in touch. But, do we?  Life sometimes just gets in the way. Or maybe logistics, we don't live that close to each other any more. However, I'm chastising myself this morning, and promising myself, I'll do a better job.  Sometimes I whisper the words, "Lord I'm tired."

When the Israelites were attacked by the Amalekites, Moses instructed Joshua to fight the Amalekites.  Moses promised to "stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands" (Exodus 17:9, NIV).  Joshua obeyed Moses' directive, and as long as Moses held his hands up, the "Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning (Exodus17:11, NIV).  Moses' arms grew tired.  I'm not sure if Moses said 'hey I'm tired', or they just instinctively knew that Moses needed help. So, "when Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it.  Aaron and Hur held his hands up-one on one side, one on the other-so that his hands remained steady till sunset" (Exodus 17:12, NIV).

Having a friend to "count on" is a blessing.  A blessing that we can also be the friend to "count on".  We are still facing difficult and challenging times.  We may be back at work, but if our first check hasn't come, we are still struggling.  Be aware of where your friends are during this time.  A text, an email, or better still, a phone call.  All you have to say is, "I'm just checking on you!"  That pretty much sums it up.

Stand Strong and Stay Safe...


Hugs

No comments: