Saturday, October 16, 2021

I'M BACK


 Several days ago, my granddaughter told me it was snowing.  Because I live in Florida, it took me a second to envision what she was seeing out her window.  From her perspective, she was seeing, cold and windy weather conditions.  I was seeing sunshine.

That reminded me that it's all about perspective.  I think life is like that too.  One of us may see a turn or fork in the road, when someone else may see a new opportunity.

For several years I have been working towards completing all the requirements to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor.  It's extensive in the State of Florida. At each juncture, the enemy reminded me that I don't have the qualifications. I'm not smart enough, it's too hard, it's too late in your life to take on such a monumental project.  And at each "turn" in the road, the Lord was sitting beside me, and said, "you can do this.  I'm here to help." Sometimes I listened to that still small voice, and sometimes I let those empty words of the enemy take up residence in my head.  

At each attempt by the enemy, it seemed as though the mountain was getting bigger.  The summit was almost invisible.  But then, rain clouds lifted, the sun came out, and the top of the mountain was only a few feet away.  

The top of my mountain was passing the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Exam (NCMHCE).  It's not an exam for sissies! :D

This past Tuesday I reached the top of the mountain when I passed the NCMHCE.  I'm still celebrating, and on my knees thanking the Lord for each day.  He never left my side. He took the exam with me.  

He reminded me just a few weeks before I sat for the exam that He is the one who called me to do what I'm doing. He said, The enemy does not want another Christian Counselor! He also reminded me that He was not the one who put all the road blocks in my path.  

He is the one you praise; He is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. Deuteronomy 10:21 (NIV)

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I'm so glad to read your post. Your words are always a huge comfort. Glad you're safe and sound. Happy Winter.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Thank you Joy! I didn't realize how much I miss you! Stay safe and happy...and keep writing!