Saturday, May 2, 2020

Love and Compassion...

One of the articles in a monthly magazine I receive from my membership in American Counseling Association, listed stress as a common denominator for lots of us.  I checked the date, and the article was written a long time before Coronavirus or COVID19 were part of our daily "lives."  While reading the article I started mentally checking off the stressors the author was listing.  I replaced the stressors most of us are facing today with those listed.  Naturally they were not the same, but those stressors are causing lots of people, lots of problems.

One issue I hear often is "when will I be able to go back to work?"  Additionally, "when I go back to work will I be in danger of being exposed to COVID19 by someone who is asymptomatic (someone showing no symptoms)?" Another concern, "when my church reopens, what will that look like?" Parents who have been working to support their family are now staying home with their children.  Their children are used to being in a classroom, running outside, talking with their friends. Those same parents may be working from home, with children who are "totally bored".

With my counselor hat on, I can only say you aren't alone.  While standing in line waiting to pick up one of my husbands prescriptions, it occurred to me that people all over our nation are doing the same thing...practicing social distancing, wearing a mask, and constantly washing their hands.  For me, it made this whole situation a little more palatable (knowing I'm not alone).

One comment I heard last week was about the fact that a close family member [to them] had been hospitalized, and she was not "allowed" to go to the family member.  So basically this person who had been hospitalized is there with no family around them.  I'm praying for that person and the person's family.  That's all I can do right now.  Actually, I think that's all any of us can do with certainty.

The book of Psalms has always given me great comfort.  "Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer" (Psalm 4:1, NIV).

And one of David's prayers; "Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me" (Psalm 86:6-7, NIV).

And one prayer I pray often: "Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion"...(Psalm 103:1-4, NIV).

Stand Strong and Stay Healthy,


Hugs,

Katt

No comments: