Monday, March 30, 2020

Best Friends






I came home this afternoon, to my puppies.  They both ran through the house, barking, jumping and running into each other.  Also chasing the cat, who stood staring at both of them like they were going crazy. As I watched them for a few minutes it occurred to me that neither one of them has a care in the world, as my grandmother used to say.  They are happy because, well, I’m not totally sure why they’re happy. I asked them but they weren’t talking. 
Someone mentioned to me that she has been emailing her friends, telling them, “I’m just checking on you.”  She said she is getting lots of return emails with encouraging words of their own. She also shared that after watching some of the news, she was surprised at some of the words they were using.  She shared that most of what she was hearing was negative. She also shared that, that was the reason she pulled out her address book, “and I just started emailing away.” 
What a great idea she has.  She also stated that because she was so busy sending email, and deciding who she should email first, that she was no longer feeling sad and overwhelmed herself.  
I think it’s probably natural for any of us to feel lonely since we are staying home, and not interacting with other people.  But what a unique way to brighten someone else's day. And it seems if I take my friend's advice, it will keep me busy too.
I’m challenging you to pick out five people each day to send an encouraging email. The next day, pick five different people.  By the end of the week you should be getting email back from some of them. 
See how many things you can share in your email that will offer encouragement.  I’m thinking you will feel better too. Let me know how that works out for you!

No comments: