Monday, November 22, 2021

WAS IT A DREAM?


 The other day, maybe a month ago, someone asked for my opinion about a hot topic.  When I gave this person my opinion, they immediately tried to change my mind.  When I challenged their reasoning, they were visibly upset with me.  I asked, "why did you ask for my opinion?" Before they could answer, I said, "you didn't want my opinion, you wanted me to adopt yours.  Now, look at you.  You are visibly upset with me because I have a different opinion." 

Don't I have a right to my own opinion?  When did we become so intolerant?  When did we stop respecting another person's opinion?  Where is all the hate coming from?  

I'm reminding myself to sometimes step back.  I'm trying to be more tolerant myself.  I'm not intolerant because we have a difference of opinion.  I am upset at the way people are reacting to my (or your) opinion.  

I'm not sure how to correct this flaw in all (me included) of us.  When we ask another person's opinion, listen to him (or her). Don't try to change their opinion, and don't get angry with them because of what they are thinking. And to all you naysayers, I'm not saying we all have to agree.  I'm saying we should learn to be more tolerant.  If someone has a difference of opinion, it's OK. That doesn't change the world.  What changes the world is the way we react.  

I want to sit in a crowded room, with strangers who are having a debate. There is no shouting, no name calling, no finger pointing.  They are sitting, waiting for each person to finish his (or her sentence). At the end of the debate, they are smiling, and speaking kind words to each other. 

Wait, was that just a dream?

I Thessalonians 5:11-13  Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.  Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you.  Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work.  Live in peace with each other. (NIV)

No comments: