Monday, February 25, 2013

Samuel Johnson said, "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
In my life I have sadly found that statement to be so true. 
I've talked with many people who feel inadequate. Who are suffering silently. Until they reach out to someone, they suffer alone. Or at least they feel alone.
I try so hard to let people see Jesus through my actions. Not just what I say, but how I react. Unfortunately, in my humanness I sometimes react rather than take a deep breath and pray before I say something I wish later I hadn't.
I love Mr. Johnson's philosophy. There is so much truth in his statement. 
I listened the other day to someone talking about a free plane ride. He said, 'the only reason they offered is because of who I am.' He went on to say, 'when I had no money, no one offered me anything.'
We are living in difficult times.  
If everyone I know reaches out to just one person, and that person in turn reaches out to someone else, well, you see where I'm going.
No one needs to fight any battle alone. 
You know someone going through a rough time right now. Reach out to them.
I'm planning to do that too.
Luke 14:13-14 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.   

1 comment:

Carol Garvin said...

I always liked that quotation. I remember when I first began my dog show business... people who had never had cause to even smile at me suddenly became aware of me and were especially friendly in the hope that I would treat their show entries with special consideration when it came to scheduling, etc. (I never did.) People that want to develop relationships only for the benefits that might be received are missing out on the joy of authentic friendships.

I like the concept of 'pay it forward' when it comes to a kindness received. God has been so good to us, and there's no way to "repay" him, but in paying it forward we can do something for "the least of these"... for others who have a need.