Tuesday, September 11, 2012

TOO BUSY

One comment I've been hearing a lot lately, especially from younger people is, "I'm too busy". Or "my life is so hectic". And of course, "I'm exhausted". All of those comments are words and expressions I have used myself over the years. So I can relate to what they are saying.
It wasn't until I reached this stage in my life, old age, that I realized the problem in my own life.
I didn't dedicate enough time to read the Bible. I didn't set aside time to worship. Everyday.
I had all the usual excuses. I'm too busy, I'm late for work, I have too many things to do now. It wasn't until I "grew up", spiritually of course, that I realized if I didn't set aside time for Him, I would never accomplish all the things He wanted me to do.
When I look at my calendar today, I often wonder why I tell people I'm retired. My calendar is worse today than it was when I actually "worked". However, the major difference today is I'm doing HIS work, not mine.
My calendar reflects the work He has laid out for me. I am no longer in control, nor do I want to be.
I feel a greater sense of accomplishment today than I did all those years ago.
The other major difference is my time alone with Him. If I have early morning appointments, I get up a little earlier. I spend at least an hour every morning worshiping my Lord. Reading my Bible, reading four devotionals, and praying for the countless people listed on the pages of my "prayer journal".
That's the difference...............Matthew 11:28 Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I was doing the exact thing this week, whining because I had so much to do. Then I remembered, I like being busy. It makes the quiet times even more special.

Hi Katt! Thanks!!!

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

I think I like being busy too. Especially when I visit people in the nursing homes.....makes me appreciate my calendar...
Love ya....
BTW I love your new picture....

Carol Garvin said...

After having been away for a month in the RV I can't possibly complain about returning to my regular tasks! But I'm very slow about getting back into the traces. I have to agree, though, that taking time for personal meditation and worship is making time for God to put my daily priorities in order. An hour spent with Him is the best rejuvenation my spirit could have.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Thanks Carol. I know what you mean about getting back into your regular routine. I've missed you! Glad you're home.