Sunday, August 9, 2009

VACATION

My husband used to tell me that everyday was the weekend. That is, when you are retired. I suppose you could also say that everyday is like a vacation. In other words, you don't have a schedule to speak of. You don't have to set the alarm. You don't really have to be any where at a certain time. You can plan your meals around when you are hungry, not when some one else can cover for you at the office. I suppose there are a lot of advantages to being retired. I used to day dream when I was on vacation, just what it would be like to retire. I envisioned retirement like an extended vacation. I could imagine what it would be like to sit in a rocker on the front porch of a log cabin over looking the lake. The sun glinting off the water, birds chirping in the trees and the rush of water emptying into the lake from the mountain behind me. There were buffalo grazing in the meadow below and prong horned antelope looping in a herd by themselves. The rungs of the rocker creaked as I rocked back and forth taking in the sweet smell of the wild flowers before me. Retirement isn't exactly as I had envisioned it. I wake about 5:30 a.m., make coffee. Sort laundry and throw the first load into the washer. Unload the dishwasher, go outside to fetch the morning paper. Boot up the computer and the day begins. By 8:30 I have several loads of laundry finished, the house is clean, and I've pounded out about 500 words on my latest work in progress. I wave to my husband as he heads off the the golf course, I finish folding clothes and putting them away. Run the sweeper and dust. Back to the computer to update my blog and web site and then back to my manuscript. I walk to the mail box, and check the mail. I wash doggy nose prints off the window in my office and then stand with the freezer door open, trying to decide on dinner. I prepare dinner, set the table, save my work for the day and wait for my hubby to return home. We eat dinner, I clean the kitchen and then we retire to the family room together. Ah, retirement. Nope, it's not what I expected at all. I think it's better.

No comments: