Thursday, March 29, 2012

THERE IS A SEASON

When  anyone comes to visit us, and one of my orchids is blooming, I drag them  to see it. "Isn't it beautiful?"
Not everyone shares my enthusiasm. In fact I can read on some  of my friends faces, 'great, they're blooming again, big deal.'
I love orchids because they only bloom once a year, but the blooms last for several months. In spite of what I may or may not do, they bloom in their own time.
While I was admiring the latest beauty, it reminded me of my prayer life. No matter what I do or may not do, my life "blooms" in it's own time.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season....
In Sarah Young's, Jesus Calling she writes, "Stop trying to work things out before their time comes."
The reason that has resonated so with me, is because that's exactly what I've been trying to do. Work things out before their time comes. 
  Years ago a friend reminded me that I try to plan my entire life---that day. He reminded me, take today as it comes.
Sarah Young goes on to say, When something comes to mind, ask Me whether or not it is part of today's agenda.
If it isn't why am I concerned about it today? Don't I already have enough to do? 
Yes Lord, To everything there is a season............. 
  

2 comments:

Carol J. Garvin said...

You wouldn't get any bored looks from me... those are gorgeous blooms!!!

These are good words, Katt. I often miss making the most of present opportunities because I'm so focused on something in the future. It must be normal to have that "must be in control" urge that helps keep us organized and well prepared for our commitments, but it's good to recognize that our days are in God's hands. He knows our tomorrows and we only need to deal with the todays he gives us.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Carol,
To that I can only add, "amen".....