Thursday, December 29, 2016

I Know the Plans

When I was much younger one of my favorite Bible verses was Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. 
I'm thinking one of the reasons that particular verse resonated with me at that time is because I was "weary", from trying to do it all.  I thought I had to be all things to all people. I rarely said "no" to anyone.  My calendar was hard to decipher some days.   I tried to live up to other peoples expectations of me.  One day, I heard myself say to someone else. "You need to slow down. I think you are so tired because you are putting so many other people before your own needs".  Seriously!?
And over the next few months, I heard that same sentiment from other people, directed at me. I needed to slow down? Have you seen my calendar? How do I do that?
A friend called one day, sharing some pretty difficult life issues she was struggling with.  While we were on the phone, I picked up my Bible, hoping to find some inspiration to share with her. I started to flip through the pages when it fell open.  And for whatever reason, my eyes fell on Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  We hung up, but I held on to that verse.
I remember sitting there that day, tears filled my eyes.  I asked myself, when did I let go of trusting the Lord for my plans? My life?  I was so busy trying to do what I thought everyone wanted me to do, that I had stopped listening to that still small voice. 
By late afternoon, I had written several letters expressing my regret that I could no longer be involved with that organization.  As I walked to the mailbox my heart was heavy. Am I doing what you really want me to do Lord?  I placed the letters in the mailbox, raised the flag, and walked back into the house. I felt so much relief.
Today at times my life (and calendar) are still hectic. However, I believe I am truly where the Lord wants me to be.
And that's a good feeling...

No comments: