Friday, March 9, 2012

JESUS SAVES

There is a Christian Academy close by where we live. I drive past it several times a week. Out front is a hedge. Someone has very carefully trimmed that hedge to read, Jesus Saves.
Several days ago I noticed no one has trimmed that hedge lately, and now it's just a hedge in front of the school. 
I was surprised at how disappointed I was when Jesus Saves was no longer visible.
It reminded me of my own life. Actually, most of us. When we don't "trim" the hedge, and "tend" to it regularly, like our faith,  it grows our of control. 
I'm sure it doesn't take a lot of time for him (or her) to trim that hedge, but it needs to be done often. Like worship.
I can't start my day without precious time alone with the Lord. In fact, I crave it. 
Just like that poor neglected hedge. It can be shaped up again, but someone has to spend time alone with it.
Hebrews 10:1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming-not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.

2 comments:

Carol J. Garvin said...

Two of our grandchildren attend a Christian Academy. One part of their daily curriculum is memorizing a scripture verse. Someone commented "How outmoded. Who does that anymore?" and the response was that maybe we should be. It's such a shame when "the little things" that we take for granted slowly disappear.

It takes practice to keep our spiritual activities effective. It's easy to let them slip, and very hard to re-establish them. I'm always surprised when people tell me they don't have time for daily devotions. The rest of my day never goes smoothly if it doesn't start properly! :)

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Learning scripture verses should be a life-time goal. I'm glad to hear your grandchildren are participating. Someday they will be grateful someone encouraged them.
Hugs to you!