Wednesday, February 29, 2012

DAILY GUIDEPOSTS

Over the years Daily Guideposts has been one of my all time favorite daily devotionals. I've added three others to my morning worship time; Ellen Miller's Inspirational for Girlfriends, Sarah Young's Jesus Calling, and Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest.
Years ago, when I first began reading Daily Guideposts I didn't read it daily. I thought I didn't have time to sit down for fifteen minutes everyday. So it was more like a "weekly" devotional.
At the end of each month Daily Guideposts provides two pages with the corresponding days for each month, with a blank space after the date for you to fill in the blessings you feel you received that day. I think the idea was to look back over the months and realized how blessed you really are.
I didn't feel back then that I had the time to do that either. Sometimes I would fill in several months at a time, or just skip a few months.
Over the past twenty-five or thirty years I've realized the importance of writing down the blessings I've been showered with. And now looking back over some of those old Daily Guideposts I'm reminded again.
This year rather than write down "blessings" I decided a different tack.
Part of it was prompted by an email from a friend.
One of the words I hear repeated by my Christian friends is peace.
This year for Daily Guideposts thirty-sixth edition their theme is The Things That Make for Peace.....
So instead of writing blessings I looked through my Bible and found references for Peace.
After each date I wrote Bible verses using the word Peace.
Not only did I feel an overwhelming feeling of peace, I now have 29 days in February to reference PEACE.
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Become complete. Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you. 
   

No comments: