Tuesday, October 25, 2011

PATHS OF PEACE

I tossed around in bed, looked at the clock, 3 a.m. I rolled over on my back, scooted two dogs over and attempted to fall back asleep. However, the harder I tried, the more the wheels were set into motion. Too many things to do, should be up and attempting to check them off my "to do list" for the day.
I settled into a comfy chair in the office and began reading my daily devotionals. The first one I usually read, not that I'm a creature of habit, is Sarah Young's Jesus Calling.
The first words I read were, "Lie down in green pastures of Peace. Learn to unwind whenever possible, resting in the Presence of your Shepherd.  This electronic age keeps My children "wired" much of the time, too tense to find Me in the midst of their moments.
Before I started reading that morning, I turned on my phone to see if I had "missed" any calls.
After reading the fist paragraph, I reached for my phone again and turned it on vibrate. 
I don't need to check email, text messaging, or missed phone calls. At least not first thing in the morning.
I need to sit and be still.
My friends and I carry our phones in our hands, ready to answer the next text message. Constantly in touch with "someone".
When I opened my email that day and had two or three hundred from that morning, I knew why I was feeling stressed. 
Where do you start slowing down? Who to you tell no? What goes to the top of the pile, or the bottom?
It wasn't easy, but I did it. Started saying no. Feeling a little guilty, but I think that too shall pass.
Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 

No comments: