Wednesday, September 14, 2011

We Weren't Christians Then

He leaned up on one elbow, "I'd like to share something with you", he smiled.
Thinking he heard a new joke, I settled back in my chair.
"Many years ago when we were at a convention in Texas," he began, "I don't know if you knew I had a heart attack."
I nodded.
"In the room next door there just happened to be another group of people." He hesitated and his wife reached for his hand.
"That group of people happened to be cardiologist from all over the world gathering for training and a meeting."
He had my full attention now. I scooted closer so as not to miss a word.
Tears pooled in his wife's eyes as he continued.
"They rushed me to the hospital where they told my wife there was little hope. Of course I don't remember any of that."He paused and cleared his throat. I looked at his wife who was ready to continue the story from there.
She took in a breath, "when the doctor came up to me and said there was little hope, I remember feeling terrified. What would I do without him?"
She went on to say, "a nurse came up to me while they were working on him and asked me if I would like to pray? I remember thinking, I'm not sure I know how to pray. But I followed her."
She paused for a moment while they sat holding hands and smiling at each other.
"We went to the chapel in the hospital. I remember thinking what beautiful prayers she was praying. I felt warm, and safe."
As they were telling me the story, I remember thinking, what an angle, to come and take her during that horrible time, and offer to pray with her.
"Well," she continued, "you won't believe what happened next."
He smiled and squeezed her hand.
"When I walked back into his room he was alert. The doctors and nurses told me he was going to be all right. We got him to the hospital in time."
I shoved my chair back and said, "That is an amazing story."
She said, "wait, I'm not finished."
By then they were both smiling.
"I went to the nurses station looking for the nurse who had come to me, and taken me to the chapel to pray. I described her to them. I will never forget the way she looked, even what she was wearing."
I said, "Did you get to thank her?"
She shook her head. "No one knew her. They all said, I'm sorry, but there is no one here who even vaguely fits that description."
"We knew then, that God had saved my husband."
He said, "The pastor came, and prayed with both of us. We both gave our lives to the Lord that very moment."
I still get chills writing this beautiful story.
I was shocked when he said, "we weren't Christians then, because they are indeed devout believers today."

No comments: