Friday, July 22, 2011

GOOD MORNING ROOSTER

In the darkness of early morning light, I sat waiting for the sun to come up.  The only sounds are trucks off in the distance, rushing to deliver an early morning load. The birds aren't awake yet either. I leaned my head back on the cushion and closed my eyes.
"Was that a rooster crowing?" I said to no one.
From that morning on I sit waiting for him to "come alive" and let me know it's time for everyone to start their day.
Maybe it's the memory of my childhood that rooster triggers. I've always been an early morning riser. Even as a child. When I heard the rooster crowing, I knew that was my "approval" to climb out of bed. Ready to face the day. I love the warmth of the sun on my face as it peeks over the horizon.  
Why had I never heard that rooster before? Because I wasn't listening. 
How many times Lord have you tried to awaken in me your plan? I'm listening Lord, I promise I am.
Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
The rooster is quiet now. He must be resting, thinking whatever chickens think about. Maybe planning tomorrow. I'm content.
Jesus doesn't sleep, He's with me now, ready to help me start the day.


2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I love this message. I'm leaning closer so I can hear.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Thanks Joy, I'm listening too---