Monday, July 18, 2011

COME AWAY WITH ME

Every morning as the sun is coming up I open my prayer journal. And in addition to praying for several friends I also pray the Lord will direct me. Give me guidance for the day, lead me where He wants me to go that day, do what He wants me to do. And as I do every morning, I also ask Him to lay on my heart anyone He wants to touch through my blog.
Normally, by the time I am through reading devotions, praying and reading my Bible, I have several ideas for my blog.
He not only leads me to a verse, but will also trigger a memory of a phone call, an email or an event in my life. This day the still small voice I have come to know kept saying, "be still and know that I am God".
Several times that morning, because I still had no idea what He wanted me to write about, I kept praying. He continued to say, "be still and know that I am God".
I remember thinking, I can't just sit down again Lord, you know my schedule today. It's crazy. I've got too much to do. In fact, I may not be able to finish all that I have to do. And I didn't slow down.
By mid-afternoon when nothing had come to me to write about I attributed it to the fact that He probably wanted me to do something else, not write my blog that day. Okay, Lord, I think I understand.
One of the devotionals I read everyday is by Sarah Young, "Jesus Calling".  It is a 365 day devotional. It is written as though Jesus is talking to you personally.
I stood to attention on the day I read this devotional from her book. 
Come away with Me for a while. The world, with its nonstop demands, can be put on hold. Most people put ME on hold, rationalizing that someday they will find time to focus on Me. But the longer people push Me into the background of their lives, the harder it is for them to find me.
You live among people who glorify busyness; they have made time a tyrant that controls their lives. Even those who know Me as Savior tend to march to the tempo of the world. They have bought into the illusion that more is always better;  more meetings, more programs, more activity.
I have called you to follow ME on a solitary path, making time alone with Me your highest priority and deepest Joy. It is a pathway largely unappreciated and often despised. However, you have chosen the better thing, which will never be taken away from you. Moreover, as you walk close to Me, I can bless others through you.
You've got my attention Lord. 

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Perfect post for my ears, Katt. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I've got work to do for the copyeditor on the Ebook for Dead Witness, I'm helping get my MIL's memorial service ready for Saturday, I'm doing the eulogy, my house is a disaster, and I'm moving MIL's things out of her apartment. Plus I want to write so badly. I'm feeling overwhelmed and then I read your post.

Goodness, it's a miracle.

Right this minute, my husband dropped in on his way to the next job site. He says, "Don't worry about mum's apartment today. We've got lots of time. Stay home, take some time for yourself."

Is that God's sweetness or what!

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joy,
You are a right to feel overwhelmed my precious friend. I've been praying for you. Give that precious Ralphie a hug from me, bless his heart!
I wish I were closer, I'd be there helping!
Love you
Katt

Carol J. Garvin said...

There is such comfort in the simplicity of those words: "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." [Psalm 46:10] He speaks in that "still small voice" and I sometimes miss it because I need Him to shout at me to get my attention! I heard Him in the quiet places last week, reminded that getting away where it's easier to hear Him was well timed for me.

That's an excellent devotional. Thanks for sharing it, Katt.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Carol,
I'm sure He gets very upset with me at times----and then laughs at me when I finally hear what He is saying--- I can see Him slap Himself on the forehead and probably shake his head----But in spite we know He still loves us!
Glad you're home--I miss you. But glad you got a little break!
Hugs