Saturday, April 30, 2011

I THINK I CAN......

Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't you are right."
That simple sentence is so true. 
I have always said, You can choose to be a winner, or you can choose to be a loser, a victim.
None of us has control over our circumstances. And sometimes I think that's a good thing. There are times when I make a decision, that if I had waited a week, or even a day, I might have decided differently. But, even though we sometimes have no control, we can still choose joy.
And our state of mind. My mind doesn't work the way it used to. Sometimes it takes more than a few minutes to remember someones name. I eventually do remember. But I choose to remain positive. To think positive thoughts. I choose to think I can.
Whether or not that is true, I'll find out later if I can't. Knowing I can gives me a different perspective on the outcome.
But again, we don't always have control over the outcome either. Thinking we do is a more pleasant ride than thinking we don't.
I would rather spend the day with someone who thinks she's a winner than someone who claims to be a victim. We can all be victims.
My friends who are fighting cancer, or a broken neck, or Parkinson's disease. Each of them is still fighting the good fight. Giving all their energy to thinking, 'I think I can'.
I'm betting on them. I'm proud of them, and love spending my days with them.

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Very timely post, Katt. Just recently I've been practicing the act of surrendering. Surrendering to the moment, the things I can't change, and the things I have no control over. I think I can surrender to anything. God Bless, and keep blogging. You are the donut I have with my hot chocolate in the morning. Smooth and so sweet.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joy, Surrendering is the hardest thing I have ever done. It's a struggle for me too. But when I do, I feel completely at peace and a joy that I've never known before.
Your donut huh? Ha ha
Love you bunches
Katt