Sunday, March 13, 2011

BLESSED

I had the honor and privilege to speak at the New Life Christian Church in Wildwood, Fl on Saturday.
In the past, after someone calls me to speak I pray asking the Lord for His guidance. Well, I asked for His guidance this time too, but this time was different. Normally, He lays on my heart almost immediately what He wants me to share, and we (the Lord and I) work on it together. 
During the six weeks or so from the time they called, until yesterday, He changed my message many times.  I prayed, "Lord you know the time is close, and I'm not sure what you want my message to be." I thought he was telling me, "don't worry, we've got time."
And so it went. I continued to pray, and listen to His voice. He continued to lay ideas on my heart. I prayed during the two or three hour trip there.
When I got there I was welcomed with open arms. I've never felt so loved. I continued to pray the Lord would guide me, because I was still not sure what my message was to be. 
I tried to "rehearse" in my head, but still did not feel comfortable.
By the time I made it to the podium I was feeling pretty nervous. Not quiet as bad as the very first time I ever spoke, but I had that same lack of confidence.
I took a deep breath, and the Lord took over. 
I spoke about things I had "rehearsed" and several things I had not planned to talk about.
There have been times when something has come out of my mouth and I've wondered "where did that come from"?
Afterwards, when I closed, I wondered, Lord, did I say exactly what you had planned? I hope I didn't let you down.
Several ladies met me with hugs.
One particular lady, waited for me, pushing her walker. Donna had tears in her eyes, she said, "you've given me hope."
We talked for a moment and she shared what's going on in her life. I wrapped my arms around her and prayed for her right there.
Thank you Lord, I've never felt so blessed. 

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Wish I'd been there.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joy, you were there, in my heart! I take you with me lots of times!
Love ya
Katt

Carol J. Garvin said...

You remind me of a somewhat similar occasion in my life. One Sunday morning my DH was called away on an emergency. He expected to get back in time for the service, but said, "If I'm late, just start without me. I'm sure I'll be back before it's time for the sermon."

Well, he wasn't. I chose extra hymns, delayed as long as I could, and then jumped off into terrifying deep waters. (I've never been a public-speaker person.) I didn't know what I'd say when I opened my mouth, and I didn't know what I'd said afterwards. But from the reaction it was apparent that God had it all under control and had used my words to reach a few needy people that morning.

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from Heaven above
With wisdom power and love
Our God is an awesome God

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Carol,
I was like Moses and Gideon---when the Lord first called me to be a Motivational Speaker, I said, "Lord, I can't do that---please give me something easier"---and now all these years later---I STILL feel like I'm not qualified.
Either the Lord is smacking Himself on the head and saying---"maybe she was right--I should have listened to her----or--
Thanks for your comments. I KNOW the entire congregation felt touched by your words! You are an inspiration and a blessing to everyone who knows you---including me!
Hugs
Katt