Friday, December 3, 2010

ARE WE HEADED NORTH

My sister could be dropped out of a plane and she would know which direction we should walk. She would pick herself up and say, "yup, that's North. We need to walk that way two miles, turn left and we'll be where we need to be."
I have no sense of direction. Turn me around twice and I'm lost. My husband loves telling this story about me.
Many years ago after I had dropped him off at the golf course I decided to go for a little ride. It was also during the time we were going through radiation, and I say "we" because I was there with him, five days a week for five weeks. He was too weak to do much. However I felt it was vital for him to continue to play golf, if he could. Not only would he be with his comrades who loved him and also encouraged him, but he would be playing his favorite pass time.
Bailey, our little Westie, was perched in the front seat watching out the window for a while, then slumped down to take a nap.
Someone once told me to keep turning left until you knew where you were. I went from a four lane highway, to two lane and finally we were driving on a dirt-sand road. In fact, I believe we were in an orange grove. The further I drove the most lost I felt. Finally, I swallowed my pride and called my husband. His first question to me was, "where are you?" I remember thinking, 'if I knew were I was, I wouldn't be calling you.'
I tried to hide the tears and finally blurted out, "I'm in an orange grove."
I heard his laughter and he said, "I guess we do live in Florida."
I picked him up from the golf course a few hours later and he made me stop at the store to buy a GPS.
Just ask me now for directions. I can do it!

4 comments:

Carol J. Garvin said...

Those GPS contraptions must be handy, although our son has one and his wife hates it. She complains it's always second-guessing her intentions when she chooses to go in a different direction to do an errand en route!

I have a good friend who gets lost in stores. When we go shopping together in a mall I daren't let her out of my sight or she's sure to head out the wrong door to the parking lot and will never find the car. I wonder why a sense of direction comes naturally to some people and totally evades others? :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Haha. You poor thing. I'm married to someone who can get lost in a city easily. Driving through Vancouver, Edmonton or Toronto is a nightmare. But you could drop this man off in the middle of the Rocky Mountains and he could find his way home. It's a miracle.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Oh my gosh Carol, have we gone shopping together??? My friend and I did that. We were at a huge mall, went out the wrong door and I finally tracked down the security people to help us find my car. It was on the opposite side of the mall! Now I just throw out corn!

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joy, ha ha---poor Ralph! I'm with him. Although if you dropped me off in the Rockys I would be on Investigation Discovery---MISSING----yup---you'd never hear from me again.