Monday, September 27, 2010

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

I rubbed my fingers across the cool plastic, turning it over in my hands. My very own drivers license.

I remember that day, so long ago, well. 
My younger sister, however, leaned across the counter and said to me, "now you don't have anything to look forward to."
It's funny, even though we were "kids", how differently we were looking at the same situation. 
She felt, now that I had finally accomplished what I set out to do, obtain my drivers license, my goal was complete. What could I possibly have left to look forward to.
From my prospective, my world had just taken on new dimensions.


I no longer had to depend on Mom and Dad to drive me anywhere. I could get a job. I could meet my friends for pizza. I could go shopping, or to a movie.
I think all our lives are just like that. We all have different opinions of the same situation. 
I know from my parents perspective there was yet another point of view. 
They saw additional expense. They saw gas for the car, they saw an increase in their insurance policy. And they were probably also a little concerned that a child of sixteen now had legal permission to head out onto the road in a car. Their car. The one they used to drive to work, or go to Church.
I pray everyday Lord that you help me to stay focused exactly where you want me to be. Let me hear your point of view.
And on the days when I think I know exactly what I'm doing, remind me Lord, not to be so stubborn.

4 comments:

Karen Lange said...

What a good lesson on perspective. I pray we keep our eyes on Him and the rest will follow. Good post.
Blessings,
Karen

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Thanks so much Karen. I've missed hearing from you.
Hugs
Katt

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

The lessons are endless. I remember, no actually, I believed that when I grew old there wouldn't be anything else I needed to learn. Hahaha! Now I just want to be a better person so when I do leave here I won't make a complete idiot of myself and say something stupid, like "Yo, Dude, are you God?"

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joy, you are so funny! I guess I thought that too when I was younger. In fact I was SURE there was nothing else to learn---especially when I was about 17. I knew it all! :D