Wednesday, December 23, 2009

GIVING THE GIFT

I'm not sure, but this may be the best Christmas I've ever had. I know, Christmas isn't for two more days. But I have to share with you, just what's been going on.

My husband came home yesterday and asked me if I was opening a bakery. There were cookies on the table in the breakfast nook. Cookies on both counters and cookies on the dining room table. There was candy on the counter on the other side of the stove. He stood with his hands on his hips. "What are you going to do with all this stuff?"

Well, honey, I thought to myself, I'm glad you asked. I reminded him of the friends who always help him when he has a problem with the lawn mower. The ones who will never take any money. Then the neighbors who can't get out any more. And the friends we don't get to see as often as we would like. And then there are the friends who had surgery a few weeks ago. Finally he shook his head and walked into the other room. Before he sat down, I handed him a plate of iced sugar cookies. He smiled as he popped another one into his mouth. I didn't know when I should let him know that he would be the one who would need to deliver all the cookies and candy to our friends.

After we delivered Meals on Wheels today we went together to deliver all the goodies I have been baking for the past week. We stopped for lunch then came home to get ready to go to the first nursing home to sing Christmas carols. We delivered more cookies and candy, came home again, changed clothes and went to the second nursing home to sing to them too. We ate dinner and sat down a few minutes ago to rest.

The people we visited today reminded me what Christmas is all about. It's about giving heart gifts. I think it was Helen Steiner Rice who coined that phrase many years ago. The "gifts" we gave away today cost very little. I invested lots of time, and then we visited them. Some of them we sat and visited for a minute.

Tonight when I fall asleep I will remember the smiles on many unexpected faces today. I will remember the joy I felt handing them a few cookies. They know I love them.

I love Christmas. I love the way so many people act and react this time of year. People seem to be more loving. More forgiving. Wonder if there's a way to market that? Forgiveness. Kindness. Loving each other.

I'm sending you a big cyber hug and my wishes for a very Merry Christmas. Call someone and tell them you love them. It will make you feel better. Probably make them feel pretty good too.

That's the gift. Giving yourself. Your time and most of all your love.

Merry Christmas

No comments: