Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Ruth

The cool chocolate brown leather couch enveloped my tired, aching body. I closed my eyes and started to drift off to sleep. The cushion next to me sank with her weight. "Mom, let me take off your make-up." She whispered. I was exhausted from the 22 hour drive, the higher elevation and the fact that my children think I am still 20 and they drag me site seeing and shopping. My daughter-in-law and I have a special bond. I've often told her I couldn't love her more had I given birth to her. She reminds me of Ruth. Ruth 1:16-17....Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me. Myung Sun married my son, moved to this country and became a citizen. She gave up her career in Korea as an actress and model. She left her family behind and became part of our family. The mere mention of her name brings a smile to my lips. She has given me two beautiful granddaughters. Her love and joy in knowing the Lord is contagious. She is raising her daughters with that same love. There isn't a day that I don't praise the Lord for bringing this child into my life and my heart. She and my son have a love story. Myung Sun and I have a love story too.

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

What a wonderful tribute to your daughter-in-law, Katt. And she's lucky to have you. Your post makes me want to call my DIL and say "I love you."

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

I love her so much. When I told her the first time the first time that I couldn't love her any more had I given birth to her, she used to say "Don't say that Mom, they will think Jason and I are brother and sister."