Monday, November 16, 2009

I QUIT

I suppose most writers are driven. We're perfectionists. We don't know when to quit. In fact, I think I read a blog about that---quitting. You've read through the manuscript two thousand times. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. But you've checked for "crutch words/phrases. You've read it, checking for misspelled words. Syntax errors. Stupid errors. You've read it out loud, and you've followed along as someone read it out loud to you. Now you're going back putting the finishing touches on it. So, tell me, when is it okay to quit. To say, it's the best it can be? I don't know, because for some reason, that phrase "I quit" isn't in my vocabulary. For the most part, that's a good thing. But there comes a time, when you have to say, enough is enough. This manuscript is finished. My husband deserves an award this week. Normally he plays golf every day except Wednesday and Sunday. This week, because I needed him, he took two days off. Actually he came in the office, and noticed a pile of hair on the floor beside my chair, and then just happened to notice it came out of the right side of my head. I have been up at 4:30 a.m. reading, and fixing, and polishing. I yell from the office, "honey, listen to this, does this sentence sound better this way, or this way?" The man's a saint! He's very happy, because I just sent that manuscript to the publisher. Now, should I wash windows or start on the next manuscript? I think I'll eat some ice cream, and then take a nap, because I have I have twenty minutes before I start the next project!

5 comments:

David Ebright said...

It's like raising kids. In my case, I said this job's finished n' moved 1000 miles south to avoid further 'editing'

You're right though - it seems there's always something that could use some tweaking.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

and when do you stop? When do you finally say, enough is enough! This fat lady has been singing all day, and feeling a little guilty. I got my hair cut, my nails done and a pedicure. I'm thinking about going shopping. Before I start on the next project, and drive myself crazy again!
Hugs
Katt

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Katt, I've got a wig you can borrow.

David Ebright said...

The day I get a pedicure is the day I stop everything....

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Dave, ROFLOL----you crack me up!!! That is too funny!
Joy, what color is the wig? ha ha