Thursday, October 22, 2009

COMMIT TO THE LORD

Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. TThe older I get, the more I realize how true these words in Proverbs are. My grandmother used to remind me to "pray without ceasing." I didn't know what that meant. To me, as a child, I thought you just beg someone until they either tell you no, or you got what you wanted. This verse holds so much truth in it. When we ask the Lord to guide our every step of the way, and then be patient, He will show us where He wants us to be. A friend of mine shared a story with me the other day. He was asked to serve the Lord as a missionary in Peru. He lifted it up to the Lord in prayer. He asked the Lord to give him three signs if this was truly a request from Him. My friend was willing to go to Peru, but wanted to make sure the call was actually coming from the Lord. My friend prayed, "I don't have a passport, I have no money, and please have 'someone' call me to confirm this. He received a phone call from another missionary asking him to come with him to Peru. He received his passport in about two weeks, and another person who was supposed to go the Peru was not able, so they offered my friend that money to go. While he was in Peru, one night the Pastor came to my friend and said, the Holy Spirit came to me and wants you to preach tonight. My friend had less than fifteen minutes to prepare his sermon. On that night, during his alter call, 87 people came forward. Psalm 119:133 Direct my footsteps according to your word........

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I thought I was a bit nuts as a kid becuz i talked to God in my head almost non-stop. The thing was, as soon as I figured out I could do that, it gave me someone I could always count on. How's kewl is that, was my first response. Course, if I'm going to be honest, I should probably confess that God was the first I blame if things went wrong. We're still hanging out together.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

That's a great story Joy! It is so easy to "blame" God---I know, especially as a child, or "new Christians"
I'm so happy for you right now----I'm praising God and jumping for joy--- Joy---how KEWL is that????? ha ha
Hugs my friend
Katt