Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Speakers Beware

While we were away this past month someone hacked into a few of my accounts. What a joy to know that someone else could be me! The other thing I was upset about was the fact that I couldn't do anything about it. I didn't have a lap top with me. One of my friends computers had a virus, another had dial up, which took months to access, and another friend told me he hadn't logged on to his computer in about three months. I received several emails to my account telling me my password had been changed. And of course all of that was after the fact. As if that wasn't enough, I was also "scammed." A man impersonating a minister invited me to speak in London England. The "red flag" was the fact that they needed me there "on such short notice." I Googled him and learned there were ten other speakers who had gotten the same letter, and they were waiting for credit card information from us so they could process our UK work permit. I suppose all of these things could have happened while I was at home, but it wouldn't have gone on for almost a month. One lady received an invitation from the "other me" and she sent me a nasty gram! Please lady, it's really me now. I suppose the moral to this story is don't ever leave home without your lap top, or better still don't leave home? Computers and the Internet are great tools and I don't know what I would do without either one. However, these past two weeks were an experience I won't soon forget. I hope it never happens to you. In fact, I hope it never happens to me again either.

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

This makes me so angry. I would like to stump these scammers upside the head with my boot.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

I reported them to the Attorney Generals office. They even sent me a contract!!! I would have been able to check them out sooner if I hadn't been on vacation----the two times I got on line at friends---I just scanned through the 300 emails checking for anything I needed to deal with---when I saw their invitation----The whole thing looked so legitimate----thank God for GOOGLE!!!
Love ya sweetie