Wednesday, August 12, 2009

JOY OR DISTRACTION

Working from home can be both a distraction but also very rewarding. I love what I do. I would rather write than eat, except chocolate of course.
When people say to me, "how can you write all the time?" I think to myself, how can I not? If I'm not at the computer writing, I have pen in hand and am jotting something on paper for my next article.
The past few weeks we have been on vacation and I didn't have my laptop. I went into withdrawal. I woke up in the middle of the night with the next scene from my latest work in process. I created a story line, plot, for the next book in the series. I couldn't wait to get back to my little office and my computer.
This morning when I got up, made coffee, took a shower, and then met my husband for breakfast, I fully intended to come home and start working. We dropped my car off to be serviced, but when I finally got home it was time to take the dogs out. I checked my email and had to answer a couple emails. When I tried to start working, it was then I realized one of the down sides to working at home. In every office I have ever worked in when you have computer problems, you call the computer guy/girl. They come to your office and you are back in business. When you work from home, ya gotta figure it out yourself.
My husband left to play golf after breakfast. He only played nine holes today, but he was home before I got the computer fixed. When he walked in the door he realized all was not well. Isn't there a saying that goes something like this, "happy wife, happy life?" He knew I wasn't happy. I finally gave in and called my computer guy. He said "sure, bring it in." Before I did that, I tried one more thing and viola! It worked. Now it's 6:36 p.m. and I'm ready to turn the computer off and relax this evening.
It's one of those days when I'm thinking was today rewarding or a distraction? I learned something from my experience today. Everyday is not going to be productive. Everyday does not run like clock work. Did I get a lot done today? No, I didn't. Am I going to beat myself up? No, I'm not. I'm going to get up in the morning, thank the Lord that I have a computer and the privilege of working from home. I'm going to do the best I can and hope for the best. If nothing else, it gave me fodder for this blog.

No comments: