Wednesday, April 8, 2009

WRITING FOR MILLIONS

A lady approached me the other day and said she wanted to write a book. She said she knew she had at least "one in her". Then she laughed and said, "is that what everybody tells you?" To be honest, no, not everybody tells me that. In fact, most people tell me they don't like to write. However, the people who do approach me about writing a book are usually stuck on where to begin. I always give them the same advice. Just sit down and do it. A gentleman said to me one day, "I know what I want to say, but it just won't come out." To him I replied, "don't worry about how it sounds in the beginning." The important thing is to just start writing. You have to begin somewhere. I supposed it also depends on whether you are writing fiction or nonfiction. Once you get something down on paper, you need to let someone else read it. Someone who's opinion your value. Now don't yell. Maybe you need to decide whether you are writing to be published and want millions (yes think big) of people to read it, or you are writing family memoirs. Let me know how you are doing.

No comments: