Saturday, March 21, 2009

NO TIME FOR ME

I argued with someone yesterday briefly, that it was Friday. I don't know about you, but my days have started to blend. By that I mean they are running together. My life used to be so structured. I got up the same time everyday. Worked the same number of hours. Usually had lunch and dinner the same time. And most days was in bed the same time. Sounds boring doesn't it. I don't know that I accomplished more then, I feel that I had more time to myself. Probably because of the structure. One of the complaints I hear from other writers is that when you work at home you must deal with hundreds of interruptions. Part of the problem is that if you are at home, most people assume you are "free" for them to call you just to chat. Drop over. Email you with a question that they need an immediate answer to. Now mind you, those same people would never drop in at your "place of business." Nor would they call you in the middle of the day and expect you to drop everything to tend to them. I used to think that would be rude to set ground rules. But now I realize if I don't let them know, who is going to? So this week, when the phone rings; voice mail. Door bell rings, won't answer. I have set aside time to write. Just like I have set aside time to grocery shop, clean the house, run errands and take care of my husband. Yes, he does get his feelings hurt when I close the door in my office and tell him to go play golf.

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I suppose this means I can't come over for cookies and tea tomorrow? Darn. Guess I'll have to stick to my diet for one more day.

Drats!

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

You are too funny! I meant everyone BUT you! Of course you can drop in for cookies and tea---I'll clear the helicopter pad for landing!!! And I'll wait by the window

David Ebright said...

Good Mornin' Katt - Because of the type of business I'm in (construction management) schedules are just second nature. I rarely answer the phone & NEVER answer the doorbell. I guard my privacy & time at home tenaciously, & limit my contact with neighbors to 'waving'. Sounds rude I suppose, but it is what it is.

Nice post about the 'I got a book in me'. I hear that from folks quite often. My response is always the same as yours. Just do it & see how it goes.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

JaxPop, thanks for your comments. It's good to know other people feel the same. It is a difficult decision, because "no" isn't in my vocabulary. My husband also says, "you love everyone". Which is true, and I can't "let the phone ring, or not answer the door." They might be bringing me FOOD! Ha ha
Love to you my friend