Thursday, March 12, 2009

GETTING IT WRITE

In the past two weeks, three people have asked me how to write a book. They said, I know I have a "book in me", I just don't know where to start. That sounds funny to me, because, you start writing a book like you start anything else. Just sit down and do it. My thinking is, one of their concerns is not doing it right. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to go about it. You just need to set aside time every day to write. It's like any other skill that we develop. The more you practice the better you become. In the beginning the most important aspect is just writing. Being self disciplined enough to sit in one spot and write. Most of the people I know who want to write, are just a little bit afraid. My advice to them is, take a deep breath, go sit at the computer (or where ever you write) and just do it. Remembering that what you write in the beginning won't be read by anyone else anyway. I've thought about having a workshop for those people. I can't mention that fact to my husband, because he feels like he has to schedule time to see me now.

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I remember how I felt when I finished my first novel. I couldn't wait to write another one. It was before the internet, back when I didn't know that I couldn't do it. Writing felt natural.

Wow, those first few weeks in 1995 when I got online, freaked me out. I learned a whole bunch of stuff that shouldn't have scared me and didn't. At least not until then. hahah

I made up for it when I went dry after book 5 and didn't come up with an idea for book 6 for three years. Those were scary times. I thought I'd never write again.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

And aren't we glad you DID. (Write again) Writing (the first time) isn't the hard part for me. It's the re-writing, and all the editing. That's where all the work comes in. And the disappointments too. I think it starts to get a little discouraging. BUT writing is what I love to do----if I'm not writing, I'm reading! Am I normal??? Don't you dare answer that----