Thursday, February 12, 2009

Moving Day

I had no idea where my deodorant, or tooth brush were. I also couldn't find the shampoo or cream rinse. Having so many friends help us move was a blessing, but trying to find our "stuff" was a challenge. My husband's 82 year old sister lives with us. Not only did I have to move us, but Sis as well. During the middle of moving day, someone scheduled a book signing for me. Needless to say, I was a little frustrated in addition to being completely worn out. It has been years since I've moved. I had forgotten how much fun it is! Several friends brought food for us during the move, but I couldn't find plates, silverware or glasses. We wanted to go out to eat, but our clothes were filthy and I couldn't find clean clothes. At least not everything we needed. I could find shirts and shorts, but no underwear. I could find lids, but no pots or pans, and so it went for about 24 hours. Then little by little it started coming together. Today, the TV and Internet "magically" came back on. So now I can sit in my office, watch the palm trees out the window and reflect on "moving day". Knowing it's all behind me now.

2 comments:

David Ebright said...

When we moved to Florida from Pennsylvania - we had to consolidate everything from 2 homes to one. (We had a house at the beach & our home in Pa was rather large, & included a finished basement). It was a nightmare (& expensive). 4 months after the move - our realtor asked if we would be interested in selling our present home for substantially more than what we paid. After all the stress - it wasn't even tempting.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

It's been a while since we've moved, and I had forgotten how much "stress" there is. However, I was younger and my children were teenagers. This time, it was my husband and myself, and his 82 year old sister and her 77 year old best friend. We still have a very large home in Ohio that hasn't sold. I can't wait to move that stuff!