Saturday, February 21, 2009

God Bless Texas

My husband and I left Florida early Saturday morning Our final destination being Denver Colorado. We're having another granddaughter. She is supposed to arrive on February 22nd. We spent a day with friends in Austin Texas and had a fabulous time. They took us sight seeing and showed us areas we would never have known about. Sometimes I feel guilty when I'm not writing, but I try to justify it by telling myself, I'm getting new material. When we left Florida, my husband thought a good goal would be 500 miles a day. We exceeded our goal everyday. Somehow the GPS was programmed for the shortest distance, not the fastest time. So we drove down several cow paths. At one point we were driving along when I realized we were on a one lane road in the country somewhere. My husband commented that we had not met a single car in over 45 minutes. When we finally arrived in Colorado, my husband had done a very good job of tracking the miles. We went about 300 miles out of our way, but we felt blessed to have seen all the country we did. And we knew that wouldn't have been possible had we stayed on the interstate. At one point on the trip, while driving through Texas he woke up and said, "are we still in Texas?" We saw parts of Texas we have never seen before. We left our friends house in Austin about 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning and arrived in Denver Colorado around midnight. We drove close to 900 miles that day. My entire body was numb. When I walked in the house, it was 10:00 their time, our two year old granddaughter screamed with delight that we were here. She ran and jumped in my arms. She wrapped her little arms around my neck and said, I love you Nana. I immediately forgot about the 900 miles.

No comments: