Tuesday, January 27, 2009

WHAT A TRAGEDY

I only heard part of the newscast. A 93 year old gentleman died in Michigan. That's probably not that unusual. A 93 year old gentleman, at the end of his days, passed away. I'm sure his family is grieving tonight. As well they should be. I'm sad to say, I know very little about this gentleman. I learned that man died a slow painful death. Neighbors discovered his body on January 17. They said the indoor temperature was below 32 degrees. The story goes on, a city utility worker had installed a "limiter" device to restrict the use of electricity at Schur's home on January 13. The device limits power reaching a home and blows out like a fuse if consumption rises past a set level. Power is not restored until the device is reset. Is this sad? It's an outrage. This 93 year old man couldn't pay his electric bill. I don't know if his is the case, where he had to choose prescription medicine over utilities, or perhaps food over utilities. But what has happened? How can we spend billions of dollars to bail out conglomerates, and let a 93 year old man freeze to death?

3 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

That is so sad and disgusting at the same time. I hope his family does something to make sure this doesn't happen again. So sad.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

I don't know anything about this gentleman, but the thought of him dying like he did makes me sick. My own Father is 91, maybe that has something to do with my anger. I prayers are with his family.

Marty said...

SHAMEFUL! What city did this happen in?