Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Breakout Novel

One of the best books I have read lately is "Writing the Breakout Novel." When my writing coach, Tiffany Colter, suggested it, I hesitated to purchase another "how to book". The first night I picked it up, held it in my hands and wondered what Donald Maass could possible tell me that I haven't already read. Reading through his bio, I learned he is the President of Donald Maass Literary Agency in New York City. So maybe this man does know what he's talking about. I have read page by page, writing tips and suggestions in a notebook. He shares information with us, in this novel, that he has shared with his clients. One of the things each of us need to do as a writer is practice. I suppose that is true of any craft. The more you practice, the better you get. So, as Stephen King would say, if you don't have this "tool" in your "tool box", you're missing out.

4 comments:

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter said...

Ah, it sounds like you have a very wise Writing Coach. :-)

I'm so glad it's helped you. I think it is an incredible book. I've read it at least 3-4 times in the last 2 years and every time I learn something.

Keep writing! Tiff

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Tiff, you should have included your web site or blog. I will include it tomorrow for anyone who is interested.
By the way,you are a terrific writing coach!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

It's on my list, Kat. I love this types of books. Especially when they're well-written and actually helpful.

Thanks for letting me know.

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joy, make sure you get the workbook too. When I am reading them at night, I am actually taking notes! Do you believe that! He shows you examples of what he is talking about. I guess that's the way I learn---